La Capitana di Venezia


The Engine

…how many sleepless nights it brought me... After many prototypes, for example, chain system similar to a tank or an Excenter, etc., I have found the optimal engine for the oars (and the oarsmen) through a friend: The engine works in similar way to a steam engine, therefore a rail moves at a height, a second rail moves up and down. In this way I can achieve a horizontal and vertical movement, together forming an ellipse-shaped movement. Because the oars in these galleys are located above the deck, the next challenge came: How do I get the mechanics on top, without the deck losing any of the aestethics? After a lot of thought and trials, I found the current solution: Extensions of the engine move above through the gangway, where the guard rail for the oars is fixed. In order to make transportation easy, the oars must be removable… but how? I first tried to fix an aglet that passes through the boards from above. This was not the ideal and nicest solution for the long-term because the aglet was being pushed out through the movement of the oars. Then I did the following: I moved the aglet below the boards through the oars and I fixed it with an eyebolt, so that the topside of the ship would not be deformed with holes. I have been asked the question: Whether I let the oars run starboard or portside separately. Unfortunately a roll resulted from a lower gauge and the moving weight could not be balanced. In order to achieve an optimal manouverability for a ship of this size, a bow thruster and shottle-drive in the stern were additionally incorporated.










Section of the transom.
The main bridge with the inlays.
Elevation to the frontal assembly of the bow.